The primary mission of the physical education program at Saint Bridget School is to develop within each student the skills for lifelong physical fitness, the ability to cooperate with other people, the knowledge of various games and sports and the ability to follow directions.
Goals Of The Physical Education Program
- Students will be able to perform gross motor skills such as jumping, skipping, and running.
- Students will be able to perform tasks using their fine motor skills in a variety of sports.
- Students will be able to learn a game/sport and play according to the rules of the game/sport.
- Students will be able to interact with other students by playing games/sports according to the established rules.
- Students will develop and perform wellness skills including good nutritional habits and fundamental exercise skills.
- Develop and demonstrate good sportsmanship.
Topics and Skills Taught in Grades Kindergarten I through Grade Eight
- Basic gross motor skills of running, jumping, throwing, catching and kicking.
- Basic fine motor skills such as how to handle a ball or use a particular piece of sporting gear.
- Nutritional topics.
- Sports: Basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, gymnastics.
- Games that introduce various motor skills.
- Exercising for wellness
- Assessing one’s physical wellness
- Participation in the Presidential Fitness Challenge